Saturday, July 23, 2011

Windmills, Hubcaps, and Geocaching

On my way to buy supplies today I pasted the windmill just like most days that I go somewhere, it's just down the road. It's been there for a long time since the early 80's when we moved to C'ton, I remember it was one of the first land marks on runs for cross country in high school, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of a mile into the run and if we came back the same road that windmill meant we were almost done. Now I pass by and it sits alone in an empty field, once there were greenhouses and a thriving nursery, maybe they disappeared when the Wal-mart was built adjacent to the field. I'm not sure I left town for college and now have been back for seven months, soon to be eight. It's strange to see things that you took for granted or never noticed but now I think how cool is that? I also see many houses around town that are great examples of southern vernacular architecture also but I do remember all of the old barns around here, I've always been fascinated with them, photographing them, drawing them, and painting them.
Windmill


 So today I saw a couple by the old windmill pulled off the street and poking around the base. What were they doing, this was odd. I rarely see anyone out of their car and looking at that windmill and thought maybe they were geocaching, either setting up something or there was a cache there. I don't know. Maybe they just liked the rusted windmill that whines and creaks in the wind.

Now, for the hubcaps. I found a 64 Buick Wildcat convertible in the junkyard the other day and got 2 different hubcaps off of the same car. I guess they couldn't find 4 matching but 2 different pairs. I got the best 2 and turns out they were both used for that car, strange, coincidence or not?  And a 70's AMC hubcap. Also some altoids clocks. Thanks!
1964 Buick Wildcat hubcap clock

1964 Buick Wildcat

71-77 AMC Hubcap Clock

No comments:

Post a Comment