Monday, June 13, 2011

Junkyards and Turnips


Went to my favorite junkyard to hunt for old hubcaps. I picked up about 20 but spent time with the owner talking about gardens, clocks, and old cars. He showed me his book on car concept designs from the 50's and 60's, pretty cool. Then we were looking at the hubcap pile by the old bus and his garden. He had collard greens, mustard greens, and turnips. He asked if I ever had raw turnip, nope, I said. He pulled one up out of the hard Georgia clay and peeled it and offered me a slice. That was good! Never had a hot, just from the dirt turnip before. He went about his business and I went digging through 50 years of automotive wheel covers. Found a nice Studebaker center cap, a late 60's Corvette hubcap,  and finally a great looking 50's DeSoto hubcap with a spinner, sweeeeet! I didn't take those this time but got some VW's, a few Mustangs (one with attached hornets nest), a Chrysler, an old Chevy truck dog dish, and a whole bunch more. Some of these can be found at one of my galleries, http://www.homegrowndecatur.com/ and some at my etsy shop, http://metalartdude.etsy.com.  I my way out I keep finding gnawed on turnips, apparently Rocky, the German Sheppard junkyard dog enjoys turnips or at least playing fetch with them. Interesting times at the junkyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment